Wales Rugby League




18th March 2013, 09:29



SOUTH Wales Scorpions under 20s put in their best performance of the season so far but still came out second best to the Salford City Reds losing 40-22.

The match was played before the Super League encounter between Salford and Warrington Wolves.

In what on paper was their toughest game of the season in taking on a Super League Academy side, the Scorpions made a valiant effort, it was a massive improvement on their first two games and despite never being in the lead, they refused to give up.

With further progress, a first win of the season can’t be far off for the Welsh youngsters, three of whom, Mike Connor, Osian Phillips and Dan Parry, were playing their second full game in three days after starring in the University of Glamorgan side who beat Loughborough B 70-6 to reach the national Student RL Shield Final.

The game didn’t start well for the Welsh. After Scorpions gave away a couple of penalties, the Reds went over for their first score in just the fourth minute. Connor Higgins under the sticks with Dan Lomax converting.

Straight away the Scorpions got their first after winning a penalty of their own. Courtney Davies fed Calvin Wellington to score in the corner but Davies missed the tricky kick.

They almost took the lead. It was a classy chip chase from Jordan Howells but he couldn’t connect well with TJ Collin and the chance was lost.

Reds went back on the attack and scored their second on 14 minutes when Jordan Walne fed Kyle Dolan to score. Lomax missed the conversion.

Chris Hankinson added their third seven minutes later with Lomax converting to give them a 16-4 lead.

Scorpions came back again with a try on the final tackle of a set of six. Levi Quirke-Knowles kicked brilliantly and Curtis Davies barged through. Courtney Davies converted.

The Welsh kept attacking and had two potential tries chalked out. Courtney Davies could have had a score but Scorpions were penalised for crossing in the build-up to the potential score, while Rhys Anderson was penalised for off-side.

However Salford had the last say in the first half as with seconds remaining Lomax scored Salford’s fourth try to make the score 20-10 at the break.

They were first over in the second half too when Matty Gee got on the end of a fine passing move to score in the corner on 50 minutes. Lomax converted.

Scorpions hit back when Luke Hollyman did well to force his way over under the sticks which Courtney Davies easily goaled.

Salford scored again just before the hour mark due to an unconverted George Tyson try but again the Scorpions crossed in reply. Kylum Austin with a well-worked score and Davies converted.






But the Reds finished well. Tyson struck again with 10 minutes to go with Connor Higgins converting and Jordan Walne’s try in the last minute completed the scoring.