Wales Rugby League



Dragonhearts edge past the Irish

21st July 2012, 20:20

Dragonhearts edge past the Irish

21st July 2012, 20:20

Dragonhearts edge past the Irish

By Ian Lovell


A 69th minute penalty goal from Dragonhearts’ Paul Emmanuelli proved to be the difference between two evenly matched sides at Bonymaen RFC on Saturday  


The first fifteen minutes saw an evenly fought game as both sides countered each other out but pressure down the right hand side saw Wales take the lead through Lloyd Ryland, Emmanuelli added the goal from wide out.


Wales added a second try through Rob Jones again goaled by Emmanuelli before Ireland stand off Brian Cahill pulled a try back although Finlay’s kick was wide.


Wales regained the advantage through a Nick Clancy try, improved upon by Emmanuelli and as both sides battled hard for an opening Ireland captain Brendan Guilfoyle broke through for a try, Finlay again missing with his goal attempt to bring up half time with Wales 12 points to 8 to the good.


Ireland started the second half with purpose, and were back in the hunt when centre Callum McKeen went over, Finlay added the goal to put Ireland ahead for the first time in the game.


Wales refused to lay down and Emmauelli’s kick early in the tackle count was hacked on by Webber who won the sprint to the line to touch down just inside the field of play, Emmanuelli’s goal attempt went wide


Ireland hit back via a second try for both Cahill and Guilfoyle both improved upon by full back Brace to put Ireland in the box seat.


Wales dug deep and a well worked move saw Danyl Davies burst down the left wing to cross to the left of the sticks, Emmanuelli added the conversion and the scores were tied at 26 each.


Both sides looked for the killer score but defences held strong before a Wales attack was stopped illegally 10 metres from the line and with eleven minutes left Emmanuelli opted to kick for goal to put two points between the sides.


DBoth sides fought for another score but couldn’t execute a killer pass to find the space to put a prospective scorer over the line and Wales clung on for a narrow win.