Wales Rugby League



Dragons continue their strong run

7th July 2012, 22:22

Dragons continue their strong run

7th July 2012, 22:22

Dragons continue their strong run

Dee Valley Dragons picked up their third win of the North Wales Conference campaign, moving them into second position thanks to a powerful defensive display against the Conwy Celts.


With both teams missing a number of squad members through various commitments, it was sure to be a close game to call.


However, from the first whistle the Dragons gave the Celts problems in defence, and the Celts had trouble with the threat they posed.


They started to go through the gears after just first two minutes, and thanks to Dafydd Jones they took lead, as he supported a line break to score.


Their lead was increased just minutes later as Mike Daniels made a strong run through the Celts defence to touch down.


The Celts then struck back with their first attack of the game, it came close to the Dragons’ line and they capitalised on the field position to gain a well earned score under the posts.


Some good running and strong defensive work kept their opponents out, and this enabled the Dragons to reply on their next drive, with Steffan Parry scoring under the posts following some great support play.


The hosts scored a further three tries before the half time interval, with Paul Jones running the length of the pitch for his score, Mike Daniels scoring his second and Dylan Roberts breaking the line to touch down from short range.


The Celts only had one score in reply, so the Dragons went into half time with a 32-10 lead.


The first 15 minutes of the second half was largely played inside the Dragons’ 30 metres, and this was due to mistakes on the home sides behalf, giving the Celts the chance to attack the Dee Valley defence time after time.


But the Dragons held firm with some great tackling off their line, although the Corwen side did look worried when it seemed there was a possibility of a replication of the reverse fixture in the season, where the Celts overturned a 10-point deficit to claim victory.


The Dee Valley outfit then regained some composure, and an interception from Dafydd Jones within his own 30-metres got the ball rolling again.


The next Dragons try was also a long range effort with Huw Jones showing good strength to score under the posts, and this was followed by Mike Daniels grabbing his hat-rick down the left wing.


A few weak tackles from the Dragons then allowed the Celts to cross over for their final score of the afternoon, but that was overseen by another try from the home side.


It came from a quick penalty as Paul Jones took advantage of a gap in the defence to break through, and his brother Barry was in supply to score the first of his career, which rounded off a great afternoon for the Dragons.