Wales Rugby League



Wales are Champions

15th June 2012, 19:45

Wales are Champions

Wales are the Student Champions of the British Isles after beating England 20-18 to lift the Four Nations trophy for the first time in three years.

By Ian Golden at Racecourse Ground, Wrexham

Wales are the Student Champions of the British Isles after beating England 20-18 to lift the Four Nations trophy for the first time in three years.

A draw would have been enough for the Welsh to take the title on points difference but Mark Wool’s final conversion after Yannic Parker’s second try of the evening gave Wales a deserved win.

England had the better of the first half but Wales, fired up by the experienced Clive Griffiths at half-time, fought back after the break and in the end were deserved champions, the best team of the tournament.

The visitors took the lead after an early Welsh mistake gave England possession and they didn’t waste it. Greg Scott forced his way over from close range and Gareth Hynes converted.

Wales had chances to score back after winning a goal-line drop-out then a scrum but both were squandered through mistakes of their own.

Finally, after winning successive sets, centre Mike Ward ran through after good work from Owain Griffiths and Kristian Hawkes. Mark Wool converted.

England regained the lead when Evan Simons finished off a fine passing move scoring in the corner. Hynes did well to convert.

Wales scored their second after a scrambled set of passes led to Yannic Parker touching down but Wool’s conversion was just wide of the posts.

But England had the last say in the first half. Alistair Leake did well to roll over and ground with Hynes converting to give then an eight-point advantage at the interval.

Wales were fired up after the break and were determined to get over the line first.

Parker almost scored his second, looking to ground Hawkes’ kick but the ball talk an awkward bounce and the chance was lost.

But as soon as Wales regained the ball, they advanced up the field and scored – Lewis Warner going over in the corner after an excellent set of passes. Wool missed the kick and Wales remained four points down.

England looked for a try back to extend their lead but were constantly denied. Scott Ellam was held up over the line and Hamish Locke was brutally but legally pushed into touch, denying both players a score.

And when Wales were awarded a penalty on England’s 30 metre line with six minutes to go, they took advantage. Parker scored his second in the corner after Scott Amber and Mike Ward moved the ball over to the wing. Wool converted to give Wales a 20-18 lead and secure the title.



  1. Lewis Warner
  2. Jason Blackmore
  3. Simon Wright
  4. Yannic Parker
  5. James Gahan
  6. Kristian Hawkes
  7. Scott Amber
  8. Izaak Duffy
  9. Owain Griffiths
  10. Tom Morgan
  11. Mike Ward
  12. Luke Evans
  13. Mark Wool


  1. Harrison Elliott
  2. Lewys Weaver
  3. Callum Wilkinson
  4. Nathan Rainer
  5. Louis Singleton
  6. Tom Beaumont


Tries: Ward (17), Parker (30, 74), Warner (51)

Goals:  Wool 1/3



  1. Greg Scott
  2. Evan Simons
  3. Hamish Locke
  4. Marcus Brooker
  5. Gareth Hynes
  6. Patrick Toft
  7. Adam Fairhead
  8. James Wallace
  9. Scott Ellam
  10. Dan Haney
  11. Sam Blainey
  12. Leigh Sanders
  13. Liam Thompson


  1. Alistair Leake
  2. Dion Chapman
  3. Jack Powley
  4. Tom Davies
  5. Matt Bradley


Tries: Scott (7), Simons (21), Leake (38)

Goals: Hynes 3/3


Referee: Danny McNeice

Half-time: 10-18