Wales Rugby League



Conference reports 2011 week 5

19th June 2011, 07:28

Conference reports 2011 week 5

Blue Bulls and Demons hit the try trail

The  Co-operative Welsh Conference Premiership


The Bridgend Blue Bulls claimed their biggest ever away win scoring 14 tries to beat the CPC Bears 74-12 at Cefneithin RFC.

The Bears claimed the opening score through Rob Hughes after a great cross field kick on the final tackle with Matthew Fuge converting, but Bulls player-coach Craig Fox hit back straight away, Gareth Howells adding the extras to bring the scores level.

Howells then scored himself and again added the extra two before a break from Andrew Fryer sent Bridgend fullback Huw Rosser over, Howells again converting.

 Straight from the re-start wing Nathan Trowbridge gathered, and having only just come on as a replacement in his first game of Rugby League raced away for the Blue Bulls fourth.

As the half ticked by the visitors ran in three more tries with Dave Norman, Lloyd Ryland and Grant Epton all scoring, Howells kicking all three conversions to give his side a 40-6 half time lead.

Bridgend continued to dominate and early scores from Howells, Andrew Fryer, Epton and Ryland, and two more Howells goals put the Bulls past 60 before a great break from veteran forward Karl Hocking sent his son Matthew sprinting to the line.

The Bears then hit back with a deserved score from Gareth Lloyd, Fuge again converting before Fryer got his second and Epton completed his hat-trick, Ryland adding one conversion to make the final score 74-12.

Despite the big score line the Bears never gave up and continued tackling till the end, but they could do little to stop the Blue Bulls onslaught with Gareth Howells giving an excellent stand-off performance. There were also fine debuts from Matthew Dwyer and Richard Llewellyn.



Cardiff Demons turned their season around with a stunning ten try performance against Torfaen Tigers to secure their first win in 2011.

After last week's heroics in defeat against the CPC Bears, the Demons were boosted by the return of several players to availability and the addition of new squad members. But it was the experienced Idris Evans, playing a half back role, who scored the first try as he cut through the Tigers' defence on three minutes. The Tigers hit back almost immediately through Joe Little to reduce the arrears to 6-4 but by the12 minute mark the Demons has opened up a fourteen point gap with a second Idris Evans try and an Ian Newbury touchdown set up by Adam Chant.

Standoff Mike Davies broke two tackles to score under the posts for Torfaen, adding the conversion to make it 18-10 on 23 minutes. But the rest of the first half belonged entirely to Cardiff with forwards such as Scott Britton, Mikal Sidoryk and Christian Francis playing a prominent role. The Demons added five more tries in a quarter hour period of intense pressure and inventive rugby league.The first of these, on 29 minutes was particularly memorable as Coach Joey Davies tried a chip kick just inside the Torfaen half and was able to catch it on the full and evade several pursuing Tigers to sprint a further 30 metres for the score. Ian Newbury then struck a psychological blow for the Demons by running back the short Torfaen kick off a full 65 metres to score his second. Long range tries followed from Jason Cheshire, Mike Hurley and Nathan Rees, and with the accurate Hurley converting all but the last try of the half despite a strong gusty wind, the Demons had built a 46-10 lead at the break.

Torfaen began the second half in the knowledge that despite the deficit they at least now the wind in their favour. But it was the Demons who struck first on 46 minutes when Dwaine Iles took a pass thirty metres out and ran down the right wing to extend the Cardiff lead. Mike Hurley took his points total for the day to 24 scoring and converting a 54th minute try.Finally the Tigers managed to use the wind to their advantage and clawed their way back to respectability with tries from Craig Jones and Matt James, the latter set up by centre John Daniels.

Unfortunately Daniels suffered an ankle injury late in the game which brought proceedings to an early close, but for a Demons team who had struggled in the opening weeks of the season this fine victory achieved through attractive flowing rugby league was just what the doctor ordered.


Valley Cougars A 34 Titans 32 by Ioan Dyer

A game of two halves at Caerphilly, the first half dominated by handling errors and uncompleted sets but saw the Titans take their try scoring opportunities well to score 3 tries to Valley Cougars' single try, however the 2nd half was dominated by a sensational period of play where the home side scored four tries in seven minutes to secure a dramatic and sensational home win.

Rhys Hendley for the Titans opened the scoring with a try after ten minutes which was converted by Jack Williams.  Jarrod Jones rounded off an impressive free flowing passage of play for the Titans, Jack Williams adding the goal to make it 0-12. The Titans' third try was an impressive individual effort by number 19 James Buckthought who intercepted the ball during a Cougars attack. Buckthought ran 60 metres and outran the Valley Cougars defence and scored under the posts. The try was unconverted. On the half hour mark, the Valley Cougars opened their scoring with a determined run by Ryan Saddler who crashed over the try line. The conversion was missed by Carl Thomas to make the score at half time, Valley Cougars A 4, Newport Titans 16.

The crowd here at Virginia Park, Caerphilly were then treated to 5 tries in the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half, 3 tries to the Titans, scored by Rhys Hendley, James Buckthoughts' 2nd of the match and Rhys Meredith. Two of the Titans' tries were converted by number 16 Jack Williams. Sandwiched in between the first and second Titans tries, the Valley Cougars A threatened to make a sensational comeback with two well deserved tries of their own which were scored by Chris Thomas and James Allen, but both tries were unconverted to make the score 12-32.

However with 13 minutes of the game left, the home side began a dramatic and sensational comeback by scoring four tries in 7 minutes, two scored by number 3 Adrian Owen, Carl Thomas grabbed the third, and a superb overhead kick from Carl Thomas enabled James Allen to score an impressive fourth try which gave the home side the lead for the very first time in the game. Three of the tries were converted by Carl Thomas to close out a highly entertaining game.


The Co-operative Welsh Conference Championship

Duffryn Devils 20 Bonymaen Broncos 42 by Stuart Williams

Several new players made their debut for the Broncos with Head Coach Richard Brooks looking for strength in depth with so many boys being selected to the Welsh Dragonhearts squad last weekend. Pick of the choice was scrum half Mark Simons who was awarded the Man of the match but he was closely followed by young winger Chris Davies who despite his small stature tackled hard and looked for work all afternoon. This was the Broncos first away game and the score didn't reflect the game as the Devils dominated play for long periods.