Wales Rugby League



Conference Report 2011 Week 1

21st May 2011, 16:21

Conference Report 2011 Week 1

Broncos blitz Steelers in their Rugby League debut.


Bonymaen showed they will be a real force in the Co-operative Welsh Conference Championship in their very first season with this emphatic victory in their first ever game.

Robert Jones scored the Broncos' first ever try (pictured - taken by Ian Lovell) and added another in the second half. Richard Williams scored a hat-trick of tries. Nick Clancy, James Bija and Luke Gallagher each scored two, while Chris Hoppe, Nick Harwood and Ian Brooks each went over for one try apiece. Brooks kick three conversion, Williams and Bija added two and Karl Newman slotted home four. They were 36-10 up at the interval before scoring 40 unanswered points in the second half.

As this was their first ever game, coaches Ian and Richard Brooks where very pleased that the boys adapted well to Rugby League. While the Steelers had some big men, their pace out wide won them the game. Man of the match was wing Chris Stokes while not scoring himself he set up a few tries and it wasa close call between him and prop Richard Murphy who took the ball up well all afternoon. While the score looks like a one sided afair the Steelers kept pressing right to the end.

Referee Mr Ian Curzon also help keep the game flowing and his explantion of his decision making helped both teams for the rest of the season as this was the first time a lot of them had played Rugby League.



Valley Cougars proved they have strength in depth by fielding two teams on the same day for the first time and recording two victories.

The Cougars' second string were able to call upon the experience of first teamers Rhodri Morris, Liam Thomas and Aaron Elliott - with all getting on the score sheet.

Morris, as a senior player, controlled things well and capped his performance with a hat-trick. Winger Thomas grabbed a brace and there were also tries for Ben Thomas and Jarrad Jones.

The win was one of two excellent results, with the first team achieving a 31-18 win over Dewsbury Celtic.



By Rob Davies

Torfaen Tigers welcomed Bridgend Blue Bulls to the Jungle in Pontypool for a well contested game of Rugby League that was sadly ended early by a nasty injury to Torfaen winger Corey Clarke.

Early on, the Tigers were their own worst enemy as silly penalties and an inability to complete sets cost them field position and points as Dai James, Gareth David and Dan Smith crossed for tries, David adding 3goals to give the visitors an 18-0 lead. It looked bleak for the Tigers when the referee then sent their captain Daryl Carter to the sin bin for a high shot.

This seemed to lift the Tigers though as the impressive Jamie Williams broke one tackle before freeing his arms from another to offload to winger Shaun Roynon to cross on debut. Prop forward Mark White then came off the bench to prove he is unstoppable from close range, Carter then returned to the field to convert Ben Parry's try after the loose forward broke from a scrum to score. Bridgend then pressured the Torfaen line but the goal line defence was excellent notably from backrower Owen Mayers and half-back Nathan Davies, but when Bridgend opted to run the ball on the last Dai Norman crossed untouched, David again adding the extras to give Bridgend a 14-24 lead at half time.

When he Tigers crossed straight after half-time through Nathan Davies, Carter converting to make it 20-24 it was game on. Bridgend then scored four times in 10minutes through Gareth David and Ben Davies, David taking his goal tally to 7/7 to give the scoreboard a lopsided look. The Tigers however stuck at it and set about building some pressure. With the Tigers in the ascendancy a comeback looked possible before the injury forced the referee to blow up early.

The Tigers will be looking to build on the performance next week and pick up a win when they visit CPC Bears, Bridgend will be pleased with a win and will look to keep up the momentum when they visit the Cougars next week.

Best wishes from both teams go to winger Corey Clarke in his recovery from what looked like a nasty injury.