Wales Rugby League



2010 Scotland Bravehearts 35 Wales Dragonhearts 22

14th August 2010, 18:55

2010 Scotland Bravehearts 35 Wales Dragonhearts 22

Scotland Bravehearts beat Wales Dragonhearts 35-22 in Edinburgh...

By Scott Thorburn in Edinburgh

Scotland won the A international Home Nations for the very first time after completing the "Grand Slam" by beating Wales 35-22 in Edinburgh on Sunday.

It was only the second time in nine years that Wales had failed to lift the trophy.

Scotland went into the match having won their first two fixtures against England and Ireland whilst the Welsh had defeated Ireland and conceded a win to England.

The matches between Scotland and Wales are always physical encounters and this match was no different. The packs of both teams put in some big hits from Scotland's John Cox and Wales' Graeme Hughes in the opening minutes. Wales finally broke the early deadlock with a score of the back of a scrum, moving the ball wide for Gareth Howells to slide over in the corner.

Both squads worked the ball well and defended bravely but it was Scotland who were able to capitalise on the possession with an excellent link play from Seb Trotter and Barry Earl to put Stuart Fee in over. Fee converted his own kick to level the scores at 6 - 6.

The match levelled out as both teams attacked and defended well before Wales centre James Allen scooted through the ruck to score under the posts. Emanuelli converted.

Scotland fought back with Scott Wilson receiving the ball deep in the Scots half from a high kick. Wilson offloaded to Massey who broke the line and offloaded to Clendenning - Fenton who jinxed his way past the Welsh Full back to score. Fee converted.

Scotland recovered the kick from the restart but were thwarted by a Welsh charge of the fifth tackle that saw the Welsh score through Rhodri Morris score with Emanuelli converting to put Wales 18-12 up at half-time and in pole position to take the title.

However the second half belonged to Scotland.

Scott Wilson broke the Welsh line after a floated pass from Trotter but Wales were gifted possession after a knock-on. Cox intercepted but again the ball was lost by the Scots and despite possession they found themselves 12-22 down after a kick through was gathered by Chris Holcombe who grounded.

Wales knocked on from the restart which allowed runs from Massey and Mackenzie to set a platform for a Scottish attack. They spread the ball wide before Fenton and Matheson linked to put Lomax over the line for a score. Earl added the extras to put the Scots within four.

Scotland began to respect possession in the second half and one of the best scores of the day came from a bomb kick from Earl that bounced perfectly into the Welsh goal area allowing Scott Wilson to beat his opposition to score the try. Fee converted to put them two points up.

Wales begun to mount pressure on the Scots but they held on and mounted an attack of their own, quick hands from David Lynn and Dave Linton pushed the ball out to the wing where fullback Nick Broere slid over to give Scotland a six point lead with 10 minutes remaining.

Wales again tried to pressurise the Scottish line but a knock on on the fifth tackle handed possession back to the Scots who worked up the field through Matheson and Borthwick to provide a solid field position which Stuart Fee utilised to drop a goal.

From the restart the Scots looked to close the game out with Malakoty being caught high followed by another Matheson run and a Cox break but the play of the ball led to obstruction and a Welsh possession. The Scots held out and quick thinking by Stuart Fee led to an interception try that sealed their long awaited Championship title.


More photos here