Wales Rugby League




12th October 2018, 22:05


England Lions put in an outstanding second half performance to overcome Wales at under 19 level for the second time this year, running out 44-6 winners.



By Ian Golden - Manchester Rangers RLFC

England Lions put in an outstanding second half performance to overcome Wales at under 19 level for the second time this year, running out 44-6 winners.

It was a rematch from this summer’s European U19 Championships semi-final, with both sides fielding similar line-ups.

England nearly scored in the second minute, Callum Wood being close to the line, but good Welsh defence forced him to drop the ball.

But they took the lead from their next move. Gary McMahon setting up Curtis Teare to score in the corner. The wind swept McMahon’s conversion attempt wide.

Wales struck back on 17 minutes. Finn Swift finished off an excellent passing move and Fraser Stroud converted well to put his side 6-4 ahead.

That was the score at half-time as defences remained on top. James Bartlett was close to scoring Wales’ second try when on the half hour he was stopped less than a metre from the line, whilst England had a try disallowed just before the interval, Callum Wood having his attempt chalked off for a forward pass.

But it took less than a minute after half-time for England to regain their lead. Jake Bradley went on a storming run and twisted his way past the Welsh backline to score. McMahon converted.

England got their third on 48 minutes. Cameron Hetherington scoring a similar try as he used his strength to score. McMahon converted again.

They went from defence to attack for their fourth. A length of the field move from England culminated in Brad Holroyd scoring in the corner. McMahon missed the kick, leaving England 20-6 ahead.

From kick-off, England scored their fifth. Another good move saw Teare set up Wood to score under the sticks with McMahon adding the extras.

Wales were starting to tire and England added another try after winning two successive penalties, Sam Favell forced his way over and McMahon converted.

England added another from kick off as Ethan Jones touched down in the corner for an unconverted try.

Calum Coleman sprinted in for England’s next, this one coming on 73 minutes and ss Wales’ heads went down, Ben Shelby added their ninth try. Teare missed both conversion attempts.



1 Curtis Teare (Wath Brow Hornets, captain)

2 Ben Shelby (Stanningley)

5 James Goulsbra-Miller (West Hull)

20 Brad Holroyd (Leigh East)

6 Gary McMahon (Wigan St Judes)

7 Calum Coleman (Leigh Miners Rangers)

10 Jake Bradley (Hensingham)

9 Callum Wood (Orrell St James)

19 Ben Holmes (Wigan St Patricks)

12 George Senior (Dewsbury Celtic)

3 Andrew Bostock (Leigh Miners Rangers)

13 Louis Brogan (Leigh Miners Rangers)


8 Cameron Hetherington (Walney Central)

16 Ethan Jones (Leigh Miners Rangers)

17 Elias Harrison (Skirlaugh)

18 Sam Favell (Thatto Heath Crusaders)


Tries: Teare (6), Bradley (41), Hetherington (48), Holroyd (52), Wood (56), Favell (60), Jones (63), Coleman (73), Shelby (76)

Goals: McMahon 4/7, Teare 0/2



1 Lewis Hall (Warrington Wolves)

2 James Smith (West Wales Raiders)

3 Finn Swift (Pilkington Recs/St Helens)

4 Billy Glover (Widnes Vikings)

5 Will Lynch (Leigh Miners Rangers)

6 Cai Ellis (Newcastle Thunder)

7 Cobi Green (Bradford Bulls, captain)

8 Aneurin Walker (West Wales Raiders)

9 Macauley Harris (West Wales Raiders)

10 James McGurk (Newcastle Thunder)

11 Ellis Simon (West Wales Raiders)

12 James Bartlett (Cardiff Blue Dragons)

13 Fraser Stroud (West Wales Raiders)


14 Ben Hunter (unattached)

15 Morgan Rowlands (Cardiff Blue Dragons)

16 Adam Young (Aber Valley Wolves)

17 Will Mills (North Wales Crusaders / Salford Red Devils)


Tries: Swift (17)

Goals:  Stroud 1/1


Half-time: 6-4

Referee: Neil Horton