Wales Rugby League



Rhondda Outlaws get their first win and Valley Cougars remain 100%

15th July 2017, 16:50

Rhondda Outlaws get their first win and Valley Cougars remain 100%


By Ian Golden at Glamorgan Wanderers

Rhondda Outlaws clinched their first ever win as an open age club after beating Cardiff Blue Dragons 34-6 at Glamorgan Wanderers on Saturday.

It was all the Pontypridd-based outfit deserved, but the capital club, again fielding a young side, made them fight all the way.

Mike Herbert ran over for Rhondda’s first try after only five minutes. Max Hendy converted.

Thomas Hale soon notched the second try with Rhodri Garland crashing through on 25 minutes. Hendy converted both to put the Outlaws 18-0 up.

Mark Jones went out wide for their fourth try on the stroke of half-time, that went unconverted but Outlaws led 22-0 at the break.

Cardiff must have a strong team talk as they started well in the second half, Ryan Shallish making a clean break in the second minute and Kyle Rose converting.

The home side were unlucky not to have a couple more back and it was Rhondda who extended their lead 15 minutes from the end when Ross Jones scored out wide and Hendy did well to convert.

A further Outlaws try in the final minute from Taine Hendy put the icing on the cake with brother Max converting as the final whistle sounded.

BLUE DRAGONS: Try: Ryan Shallish. Goal: Kyle Rose.

OUTLAWS: Tries: Mike Herbert, Thomas Hale, Rhodri Garland, Mark Jones, Ross Jones, Taine Hendy. Goals: Max Hendy 5.



By Andrew Parker at Treharris RFC

Valley Cougars kept up their 100% record after a burst of tries in the middle of the second half helped drive them to a 46-24 victory over Torfaen Tigers.

Cougars stormed into a 14-0 lead in the first quarter hour. Lee Goddard went over for the first, Gethin King scored the second which Mike Hurley converted, then Jack Watkins added a third.

Then Torfaen fought back, two tries from Kurtis Haile, both converted by Matt Cummins brought the score back to 14-12.

Cougars gave themselves a bit of breathing space after Goddard ran through for his second out wide and they scored again just before the interval through a Scott Britton try.

22-12 up at half-time, Darryl Moyle ran over for an outstanding individual try just after the break. Cummins converted.

Cougars fought back and they were rewarded three quick tries to put the game out of reach. King got his second of the game before Liam Watton and Craig Lewis each added scores. Player-coach Lee Goddard converted all three to put the score up to 40-18.

Tigers got a try back through Liam Silver, Cummins adding the goal, but the Cougars finished well with Mike Hurley scoring the game’s final try and Goddard converting.

COUGARS: Tries: Lee Goddard 2, Gethin King 2, Jack Watkins, Scott Britton, Liam Watton, Craig Lewis, Mike Hurley. Goals: Mike Hurley, Lee Goddard 4.

TIGERS: Tries: Kurtis Haile 2, Darryl Moyle, Liam Silver. Goals: Matt Cummins 4