Wales Rugby League



Bridgend and Aber Valley record wins

11th June 2016, 17:09

Bridgend and Aber Valley record wins

Bridgend Blue Bulls leapt to the top of the Welsh Conference after an exciting 44-22 win over West Wales Reserves in Llanelli.



Bridgend Blue Bulls leapt to the top of the Welsh Conference after an exciting 44-22 win over West Wales Reserves in Llanelli.


The first half was fairly competitive and fiesty but Bridgend went in with an 18-6 lead. Aaron Harries crossed for their first that was converted by Joe Symons but it was soon 6-6 through a Iwan Mayze try with Taylor Phillips converting.


Bridgend though are not champions for nothing and they stepped on the gas just before the interval with Owen Thomas and Jack Dryden running in scores with Symons improving both.


The game was out of reach within 10 minutes of the restart as Thomas scored his second and Dale Wood followed him over. Symons converting the first, Thomas the second and the score was 30-6.


Mayze’s second try brought the score back to 30-10 but it was only respite as Bridgend scored three more times, Henry Marrar, Marcus Thomas and Wood with Symons converting once.


But Raiders reserves weren’t finished yet one from Trystan Morgan and Mayze completing his hat-trick with further goals from Phillips bringing some respectability to a West Wales side that contained a number of debutants.





Aber Valley Wolves are into second place after a hard-fought 42-28 win over new side Blaenau Gwent Sharks who deserve a lot of credit for challenging their more experienced visitors throughout.


Sharks held out well for the first 15 minutes but two quick tries both from Aaron Evans, who converted both himself, soon put them 12-0 up.


Their first ever home try was claimed by Craig Duncan but Brendon Isaacs couldn’t land the conversion, the only kick missed in the game.


Tries from James Richards and Dai Davies for Aber Valley, both converted by Evans put them into a dominating 24-4 lead and it looked like that a rout in store.


However Blaenau Gwent struck back. A try for Jonathan Davies just before the break and one for Andrew Prouse just after, brought the score back to 16-24.


A mistake from kick-off allowed Gavin Gabrielle to address the balance, converted again by Evans but John Davies soon replied for Sharks with Isaacs adding the goal to make it 22-30.


Again Wolves extended their lead, this time out of reach as Alan Evans and Ryan Williams both crossed with Evans keeping up his 100% kicking record.


But the last word went to Sharks’ Craig Duncan who went in under the sticks with Isaacs converting.