Wales Rugby League



Raiders qualify for the play-offs

16th August 2015, 07:32

Raiders qualify for the play-offs

The Raiders qualified for the semi-finals of Conference League South in their very first season, in convincing style on Saturday, crushing Gloucestershire Warriors 84-0 away from home.



The Raiders qualified for the semi-finals of Conference League South in their very first season, in convincing style on Saturday, crushing Gloucestershire Warriors 84-0 away from home.


The All Golds’ feeder side, one of the longest running sides in the south of England, had no answer to the style and skills of the young Welsh side.


The Llanelli-based side now join fellow Welsh outfit Valley Cougars in the semi-finals. The Cougars, who play out of Nelson, had no game this week but are still top of the table and there are now hopes of an all-Welsh final.


Raiders took the lead as early as the third minute through an unconverted Morgan Jeffries try. Alex King and Kyle Bryan quickly followed him over and it was 12-0 on eight minutes.


Jeffries added his second and Raiders’ fourth on 16 minutes before Harry Boots scored on 22 with Luke Williams finally adding a goal making it 22 points in as many minutes.


Four minutes later, Nath Beck got the fifth try of the game before Jeffries secured his hat-trick nine minutes before the break.


Both tries were converted by Williams and somehow the Warriors didn’t concede again before half-time leaving the score 34-0.


The floodgates then well and truly opened with The Raiders running in 50 points in the next 40 minutes.


Williams was first over, converting his own try before King notched a quick brace with Williams improving both. Beck’s second then made the score 56-0 on 49 minutes.


Raiders managed just three tries in the next 10 minutes with Curtis Ford, Owain Phillips and Dan Fox the scorers, Williams converting the first two, making it 72-0 on 59 minutes.


The Welsh took their foot off the gas a bit after that. A Dafydd Phillips try on 64 minutes and King’s fourth of the game completed proceedings nine minutes before the end. Williams kicked his ninth and tenth goals of the day.




By Ian Golden at Cwmbran RFC


Coventry Bears Reserves secured their place in the top four with a hard fought win at Torfaen Tigers, ending the Welsh side’s slim hopes of qualifying themselves.


The Bears started well and from their first set of six, Alex Brown scored under the sticks to give them the lead. Ben West converted.


Torfaen soon levelled after a good set of six saw Jake Thomas crash over with Matt Cummins converting.


Coventry soon regained the lead after Tom Kelliter took advantage of a knock-on to pounce and score. West’s kick was sliced wide.


Tom Davies turned his way over in the corner for Coventry’s third try soon after that. Steve Coleman converted to make the score 16-6.


Winger Liam Silver hit back for Torfaen, but Coventry scored again before half-time through Coleman with Tom Davies adding another, both tries converted by Coleman to make the score 28-10 at the break.


It looked like the tide could turn in the second half. Coventry’s Dave O’Connor was sin binned for a high tackle not long after the interval and Torfaen took advantage straight away with Mike Edwards going over from the penalty. Cummins easily converted to bring the score back to 24-16.


But the rest of the game belonged to Coventry. They scored against the tide and up the hill as Elliot Holton ran in with Coleman converting.


Olly Laity went over on the other wing to extend the lead further before Kelliter added another to make the game safe. Coleman converted both.


Torfaen, as always wouldn’t lie down but it was too little too late. Player-coach Jamie Williams got a try back before Tom Matthews just about got enough downward pressure to score another. Cummins converting the second of those was the final kick of the game.