Wales Rugby League



Wales Students lose out in final match

18th April 2014, 22:10

Wales Students lose out in final match

England regained the Students Four Nations title after a titanic struggle with holders Wales.

England regained the Students Four Nations title after a titanic struggle with holders Wales.

The first ten minutes of the contest was fought out hard down the middle, after each team completed and returned their sets respectfully, time after time.


Wales’ Lloyd Thomas opened the scoring after catching a towering bomb under the England posts, which was cleverly kicked by his half-back Marcus Webb.


England immediately retaliated when Webb’s opposite number crossed after a set play along the back line put Blake Mahovic in the corner, putting the scores at 6-4 in Wales’ favour after 25 minutes of play.


The following set England hit again, after scrum-half Chris Atkin placed a neat kick into the corner for winger Joe Walsh to take with ease. A second missed conversion from Atkin put England ahead by two.


Leading up to half time, the Welsh outfit helped England down the field through penalties, giving full-back Billy Griffiths the chance to weave his way past the defence to dive over the line and put his team eight points ahead at the break.


Neither side looked to be tiring at the start of the second stanza, with the intensity being matched in both attack and defence.


Walsh got his name on the scoreboard for the second time, when the Welsh line collapsed under a lot of pressure and the winger dived over in the corner.


Sixteen points ahead, the silverware looked set to be heading England’s way, with no sign of Wales breaking their opposition’s ruthless defence and fatigue slowly starting to set in.


As the game slowed down, England worked up the field on the back of penalties, and gave Wales no opportunity for a significant spate of possession. Griffith’s grabbed his second try as the Welsh defence opened up for him yet again.


Trailing by 6-26 and against the clock, Wales needed something special to get back into the game.


Unfortunately for them, that special something was nowhere to be seen. England’s Anthony Squires had a try disallowed for a forward pass as they continued to pin a sluggish Welsh side in their own 20 metres.


Wales’ Tristen Trehan made a 60 metre break against the run of play to give his side four points, but it only acted as a consolation, with England immediately retaliating through a try from loose forward Jack Howdle, as he side-stepped through the defence to score under the sticks.


Wales battled through to the final whistle, and ran in two late tries as England’s solid defence finally gave in. Thomas grabbed his second of the game and Rhys Morgan touched down on the hooter, putting the final score at 20-32.


Wales: Jordan Sheridan, Lewis Stochton, Tom Hughes, Lloyd Thomas, Lewys Weaver, Rhys Morgan, Marcus Webb, Mike Connor, Connor Farrer, Morgan Evans Ben Stelmaszek, Owain Davies, Osain Phillips, Alex King, Alex Randall, Harrison Elliot, Tristen Trehan

Tries: Lloyd Thomas (2), Tristen Trehan, Rhys Morgan

Conversions: Morgan Evans (2/4)


England: Billy Griffiths, Joe Walsh, James Morgan, Blake Mahovic, Anthony Squires, Matt Brewer, Chris Atkin, Dan Capaross-Midwood, Richard Hughes, Iain Murray, Conor Clayton, Chris Barratt, Jack Howdle, Josh Dixon, Gaz Hymes, Sean Richards

Tries: Blake Mahovic, Joe Walsh (2), Billy Griffiths (2), Jack Howdle

Conversions: Chris Atkin (4/6)