Wales Rugby League




Fri 17/03M2A

Wed 22/03NE1
Calderdale VS.
Leeds City

Wed 22/03NE1
Kirklees CoVS.
Greenhead C

Wed 22/03NW2
Hopwood HalVS.
Salford Red

Wed 22/03NW2
Moreton Rug6
Carmel Coll50

Wed 22/03NW2
Oldham 6th 0
Warrington 30

Wed 22/03NW2
St John RigVS.
Priestley C

Wed 22/03NW2
Salford Cit30
The Rugby L0

Wed 22/03NW2
Runshaw ColVS.
Cronton Col

Wed 22/03NW2
Winstanley 30
Wigan Warri0

Wed 22/03NW2
Wigan & LeiVS.
Cowley Sixt

Wed 22/03PE1
Coleg y Cym58
Bristol Aca24

Wed 22/03PE1
Bishop Burt44

Wed 22/03PE1
Hopwood Hal4
Halifax ERA8

Wed 22/03PE1
New CollegeVS.
Wakefield C

Wed 22/03PE1
Furness RaiVS.

Wed 22/03BCT
Nottingham 14

Wed 22/03CHA
Leeds Becke18

Wed 22/03M2A

Wed 22/03FRI
Manchester VS.
Edge Hill

Wed 22/03FRI
South Wales

Wed 22/03VA
University 4

Wed 22/03N3B
Sheffield A

Wed 22/03M2A
Nottingham 1
Oxford Broo64

Wed 22/03VA
Sheffield H26

Wed 22/03NE2
Leeds ColleVS.
Craven Coll

Sat 25/03C3
Newcastle TVS.
Midlands Hu

Mon 27/03FRE
Midlands HuVS.
Leeds City

Wed 29/03NE2
Craven CollVS.
New College

Wed 29/03VA
St Marys

Wed 29/03CUP
Hopwood HalVS.
Wakefield C

Wed 29/03CUP
New CollegeVS.
Halifax ERA

Wed 29/03VA
Liverpool J

Wed 05/04PE1
Bishop BurtVS.
Coleg y Cym

Wed 05/04PE1
Newcastle T

Wed 05/04PE1
Halifax ERAVS.
Furness Rai

Wed 05/04PE1
Wakefield CVS.
Hopwood Hal

Wed 19/04PE1
Bristol AcaVS.

Wed 19/04PE1
Newcastle TVS.
Bristol Aca

Wed 19/04PE1
New CollegeVS.
Halifax ERA


Page title The Summer Switch
Cougars fall at the final hurdle

Cougars fall at the final hurdle

17th September 2016, 18:10

London Chargers made it two league wins in successive years after a dominating 42-0 win over Valley Cougars to take the Conference League South trophy.


Valley Cougars, who finished top of the table in the regular season, didn’t look like they’d recovered from their long coach ride and were second best to a London Chargers side who had had a much shorter journey to the stadium.


The Chargers, who won the lower ranked Harry Jepson Trophy to gain promotion last year, totally dominated and the damage was done in the first 40 minutes. They’d beaten the Cougars twice in the regular season but they were both close games. This Grand Final was a different story.


A large passionate crowd, many of whom had come from Wales to watch, cheered the teams on and the more local contingent didn’t have a long wait for the first score, Chargers taking the lead in the second minute - a good passing move found Ben Hird who scored in the corner. Phil Lyon missed the conversion attempt.


The lead was doubled six minutes later when Johnny Oldridge grounded in the opposite corner. This time Lyon converted well to make it 10-0.


They increased their advantage further on 17 minutes. Lyon offloaded well to Liam McGee who went over in the same place. Lyon again converted and the London side were 16-0 up.


Cougars looked for a try back but a hopeful pass, from the Welsh side’s first real attack, flew speedily past Yousif Sulliman and into touch.


It got worse for the Cougars on 24 minutes when one of their former players, Tala Petelo, ran well and set up Hird for his second. Lyon’s kick made it 22-0.


Again Cougars were caught on the right as they looked for a try back. Ethan Coombes tried to create a gap for Sulliman but this time the winger was pushed into touch and again a scoring opportunity was lost.


Then, Coombes looked to have made a clean break and although he was stopped 10 metres from goal, he was pulled back from receiving a forward pass.


Yet again, the shark-like Chargers stormed up the field to score and it was former London Skolars prop Ollie Bloom who was next over. Lyon converted again.


Just before the break, Chargers were down to 12 men after Brady Stewart “took one for the team” and illegally brought down Coombes who was in a prime scoring position. And after winning a second penalty, the Welsh ran out of the time, for the first 40 at least, London leading 28-0 at the break.


Cougars continued to get on the wrong end of some 50-50 decisions from the officials. An early Adam Watton grounding was chalked off for a forward pass.


Stewart came back onto the pitch and made his mark straight away, going over from dummy half for an unconverted effort to bring the score up to 32-0.


There could have been another increase as McGee looked to have grounded in space but the referee called play back for off-side. That was before Lyon also had a try disallowed for a knock-on.


The icing on the cake came with 10 minutes to go after Petelo, returning to his former club this year following a year in Wales, scored in the corner. Lyon missed the conversion but it mattered not in the grand scheme of things.


The final ended on a sad note as Tom Poole of Chargers and Ross Price of Cougars both saw red following a high tackle from the former and retaliation from the latter.


But the action hadn’t finished there. The last play of the game saw Lyon leap onto his own kick in the goal area, converting himself.



1 Ben Jones

2 Yousif Sulliman

3 Mike Hurley

4 Liam Watton

5 Adam Watton

6 Lee Goddard

7 Shane Lee

8 Scott Giles

9 Dean Higgs

10 Rhys Davies

11 Lewis Wilkes

12 Jack Watkins

13 Scott Britton


14 Dafydd Hellard

15 Ethan Coombes

16 Ross Price

17 Kristian Baller


Sent-off: Price (76 – retaliation)



1 Mitch Manson

2 Ben Hird

3 Johnny Oldridge

4 Tala Petelo

5 Liam McGee

6 Nathan Brown

7 Phil Lyon

8 Ollie Bloom

9 Blake Stewart

10 Danny Williams

11 Tom Poole

12 Joe Briggs

13 Todd Peut


14 Brady Stewart

15 Danny Burke

16 Luke Haslam

17 Craig Kruger


Tries: Hird (2, 24), Oldridge (8), McGee (17), Bloom (35), Stewart (52), Petelo (70), Lyon (80)

Goals: Lyon 5/8

Sin-bin: Stewart (39 – high tackle)

Sent off: Poole (76 – high tackle)


Referee: Matthew Rossleigh

Half-time: 0-28

Attendance: 100 (approx)


Sport Wales
My Club Betting
Raging Bull Logo
Flintshire County Council
Wrexham County Council
Vaughan Davies
JBC Nutrition
Wxm Lager
The Leader
A B Sundecks